Northwestern Pacific Railroad Network

Dedicated to Sharing the Heritage of Redwood Empire Railroading

Special movement of some of the passenger cars, for a special at Eureka. The track was in bad shape at Bell Springs and we needed idler cars, because of the dip in the track. The RS-1 was leased and is running backwards.

  • Currently 5/5 stars.

Views: 638

Favorite of 4 people


You need to be a member of Northwestern Pacific Railroad Network to add comments!

Join Northwestern Pacific Railroad Network

Comment by Luketherailfan on March 26, 2019 at 10:40am

The rs-1 is still in Willits as far as I know. 

Comment by Jerry J. Kitts on March 20, 2016 at 2:17pm

Not sure sure they were "glory" days. We spent a lot of time on bad track from Dos Rios to Fort Seaward going 10 mph on truly crummy track. Willits to Island Mountain swap trains and back to Willits took 12 hours. In 1985 we could go from Willits to Eureka in less time and I if I remember right it was a longer trip. After Fort Seaward the speed limit was mostly 25 mph and seem like you were really getting over the road.

Comment by Jerry J. Kitts on March 4, 2016 at 12:11am

The box car and there is a flat between the 2nd and 3rd coaches. The lock tight couplers on the passenger cars are too stiff to make it through some of the dips in the sinks. The couplers would try to lift the passenger cars rather than the couplers shifting up and down passed the knuckles of a normal coupler.

Comment by Jerry J. Kitts on August 30, 2015 at 11:03pm

The cars are ex-Shasta Daylight for the most part and a couple of Santa Fe cars. They were owned by Dick Reynolds and Neal Ferguson long before 4449 went back into service. They were being used out of Willits while the 4449 was hauling its train around.

Comment by Sean Purtell on August 30, 2015 at 9:13pm

Are those passenger cars from SP 4449?

Comment by Jerry J. Kitts on October 1, 2010 at 5:23pm

The cars may have spent some time in Scotia because the yard there was pretty secure. At the time we were using the RS-1, all the passenger cars returned to Willits is my best recollection.

I used the RS-1 on several work trains as far north as Fort Seaward. After the track work was done I was supposed to follow the freight back to Willits. On one occasion Dale one of our senior engineers and probably the best we had, when he went by me at Fort Seaward tossed me a note. Said to follow him real close he had more tonnage than two GP-38s could deal with. He just happened to stop with the rear of his train clear of the turnout and we took off his Fred and coupled on. I used whistle signals to let him know I was starting to push and he answered back with his whistle (airhorn). We had a rule that we were not allowed to use pushers - don't know why other than maybe bad track. After we got rolling I ran the old girl about 3/4 throttle all the way to Willits. We made track speed all the way into Willits. The boss kept calling asking Dale were he was going to die on the law and he kept saying Willits. Our assistant leader had an office in Willits at the time and just smiled when we thundered past the station before cutting off the RS-1. We went further than necessary to push down track 42, we just wanted him to see what we did with out using the radio and letting the boss know of our mischief. My wife took the photo at Dos Rios. Jerry
Comment by Zachary M. Toler on October 1, 2010 at 4:22pm
Jerry, did they leave these cars in Scotia after the passenger special was done?


© 2019   Created by Mark Drury.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service