Northwestern Pacific Railroad Network

Dedicated to Sharing the Heritage of Redwood Empire Railroading

SMART Right of Way Google Map now available to nwprr.net Members

Hello All,

I don't know if any of you will find use for this, but here is a copy of a map that I was working on for the NWP before Jake recently became GM.  This google map has locations of Mileposts, signals, bridges, and more between Ignacio and Windsor.  It is not entirely complete, but I expect it could be useful for railfanning.  I am unlikely to continue work on this project due to the new management at the NWP, however I'm happy to release it as a resource for our great members.  If anyone has suggestions of places to add, such as good photo locations or whatever, don't hesitate to let me know.

Sincerely,

James J. Caestecker

Click Here for James' Map

Example of the map:

Views: 428

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Didn't they have a outside sales Representative also? What happened with that?

James thanks for putting this on the w-site.  This gives an excellent graphic of the NWP layout.

You have no idea how useful one of these is for planning shortline operations.  I'm the track foreman at the San Diego and Arizona Railway (Campo, CA) and we use the one I made there for determining speed restrictions, cutting Track Warrants, planning efficiency tests, and more.  Incredibly valuable tool for us.

Good job on this map, James!

I can view it if I'm not logged into Google, possibly due to some domain level settings that my work IT department controls.

Thanks!  Makes me think about modeling.  I haven't heard of any models of the south end.  Would be cool to do a working model of the Black Point swing bridge, for example. 

Nice work on the map James!  I'm enjoying your reference markers and the map's zoom feature for close-up views of the tracks and related areas of interest.  At MP 37.2, for example, you can clearly see the Haystack swing bridge prior to its removal.  At MP 42, you'll see ol' BUGX 1322 backed into the Adobe spur with several hoppers at the Lagunitas trans-load facility.  Good stuff.  I hereby declare this exciting map activity "Zoom Foaming".... or simply "ZF" for short ;-)

Ron

That's the beauty in the system, Ron.  It allows you to get a general feel for the railroad, or allows you to take a very detailed view to pinpoint an exact location.  The Class 1 railroads certainly have complicated software that does the same and costs millions, but I can develop one of these maps for the cost of an on-site visit plus a couple thousand dollars for labor spent inputting the points.  They used the map I made for the Santa Cruz and Monterrey Bay railway to plan the location of the "North Pole" for their Christmas trains after the line had been dormant for many years.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Mark Drury.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service