Northwestern Pacific Railroad Network

Dedicated to Sharing the Heritage of Redwood Empire Railroading

Share your news about the Golden Gate Railroad Museum's move to Schellville.

I'm not sure if it's really been discussed here much, but a quick review of local railroad related social media sites reveals that the Golden Gate Railroad Museum, late of temporary residence at Niles Canyon, has entered into an agreement with the NWP Co. to move their operations to Schellville. (See: http://www.ggrm.org/default.aspx ) That would be their twelve (12) locomotives and 25+ cars, including, an exSP "Black Widow" GP9, a couple of F7 "Covered Wagons," and, of course, their famous SP2472, the beautifully restored 1921 Baldwin 4-6-2 "Pacific," and its period passenger consist.  That much is, by all appearances, absolutely official and you can take it to the bank (unless GGRM is posting "fake news" on it's official website.)

This is supposed to happen in the near future (weeks to month and a half) depending on UP traffic scheduling and SP2472 is supposed to be arriving with a train in tow under her own power, which will be pretty darn impressive to see.

The equipment will be stored "at Schellville" in a secure compound built by GGRM.  This seems to be a "for sure."  Rumors (comments on FB, all of which I consider "rumors,") on the other hand, are that GGRM is looking for a site "somewhere between Schellville and Healdsburg" to build a permanent headquarters for rolling stock storage and maintenance shops.  Reportedly, at some point, excursion operations might be expected, but details have not been addressed as the immediate concern is moving the GGRM to Schellville because they must presently vacate the Niles Canyon Railway yard.  (They had attempted to work out an operating agreement with Santa Cruz to move to an unused stretch of track down there, but that was politically nixed by a coalition of NIMBY's and "bike path-ers." ...  Santa Cruz's loss and our gain!)

So, as Will Rogers said, "All I know is what I read in the papers and that's an alibi for my ignorance."  There's got to be members of this forum with a lot more detailed information on "developments as they occur."  Can I ask that anybody that knows anything, and particularly the date SP2472 will be making its way to Schellville under steam, share what they know here, or at least post links to any new information that pops up on other sites?

Needless to say, this going to be is a seriously BIG DEAL if and when it comes to pass.  As SP2472 would say, "Quiet zones?  Quiet zones?  I doan got to cho you no steen-king quiet zones!"

Views: 629

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"If You Don’t Read the Newspaper You Are Uninformed, If You Do Read the Newspaper You Are Misinformed"

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2016/12/03/misinformed/

Steve:

Good to see you posting again keeping us honest and even though you have gone over to the dark side (the social disease).

I didn't check thoroughly, but the Golden Gate Railroad Museum "News" page didn't mention Schellville at all.  Are we sure this move is permanent, or is it only temporary until the Santa Cruz depot is ready?

I mention this because the News page for February still talks about Santa Cruz and this Schellville plan was apparently hatched in December or thereabouts.

Just got the latest "The Dispatcher's Sheet" newsletter from GGRM. Updates on the move, which has been delayed for a number of reasons, they are past the move out date now, but plans are moving forward. You can support them by joining and even volunteering! (and donations of course)

NCRA does not own the NWP.  Credibility?

The official announcement of the move is on their website: http://www.ggrm.org/default.aspx

Thanks Bob.  Always appreciate your posts.

SO in the GGRM Newsletter it states: "in a secured facility in the north bay that is to be constructed by the GGRM."

If the move is imminent then that construction has to happen pretty fast.  Given that they will have to build a new structure assumed to be in Schellville, I would be surprised if they would vacate it soon to move north.

I have not heard anything new about when the move will happen. However, I did notice an inaccuracy in the statement above. The GGRM does not possess more than 12 locomotives, nor does it possess 25+ cars. If anything, those numbers are more conducive to the GGRM's collection back when they were at Hunter's Point. Since moving from Hunter's Point to Niles Canyon, the GGRM was forced to downsize their collection significantly. Rather, the GGRM now has: 

- 5 diesel engines 
- SP 2472 (of course)
- 8 passenger cars

Just thought I'd point that out. There is a string of cars located on a siding RR east of sunol, some of which might be GGRM. But that's about it. For those seeking credibility, I've been a GGRM member since 2013 and have helped with coach restoration work a handful of times. 

I'll defer to your expertise as a GGRM member!  The numbers I stated in my post were from the "Golden Gate Railroad Museum" listing on Wikipedia.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Gate_Railroad_Museum

Like many Wikipedia entries, it appears to be out of date.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Mark Drury.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service