Northwestern Pacific Railroad Network

Dedicated to Sharing the Heritage of Redwood Empire Railroading

Hi everyone, does anyone know how to find out what happened to a particular Diesel Locomotive? I have a photo of my father on the front of Locomotive #3807 entering the newly opened Tunnel #4 in San Rafael back in the 60's, '67 I think. There was a tunnel fire back in '64 I believe and was reopened in '67. I would like to find out what hppened to that engine, locate it if possible and re-create the photo. Any ideas on where I should start?

Views: 1003

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I knew that, Mike. This shot was head on, or I would've seen that.

Zachary M. Toler

I never really noticed that, even though I've been looking at GEEPs and Cadillacs for years! Learned something new, thanks, Keith! :-)

Zachary M. Toler

I'd say the easiest is the trucks.  Geeps = 4 wheels.  Cadillacs = 6 wheels.

On a side shot, yes. This one in question was head on.

Zachary M. Toler

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPicture.aspx?id=124907

the link above shows a photo dated 1987 showing 4315 in willits

Might try Altamont press Those can can usually answer any question regarding the SP

I did. All they had was that Progress Rail bought it, but from there, nobody seems to know. Maybe if somebody has the phone number, they could always call and ask.

Zachary M. Toler

Lastest reply on this from AP-
Re: ESPEE SD9 4315
Author: OPRRMS 
Date: 08-30-2012 - 13:46
All I can add about the unit is that Progress Rail bought at least a couple dozen retired SP GP9s, SD7s and SD9s and had them moved to Exeter.  Most were parted out and/or scrapped, although a few were resold for use.  Whether the 4315 was among those is unknown to me.

At least we now have a last known location.

Zachary M. Toler

Where is Exeter? I found an Exeter in New Hampshire.

http://cityofexeter.com/

Zachary M. Toler

An update-
Re: ESPEE SD9 4315
Author: Tom 
Date: 08-31-2012 - 15:29
Many of those ex SP SD 9's found their way down to Kaiser Steel in Fontana, Ca and got cut up
Zachary M. Toler

I took your advice Zachary, and called Progress Rail and left a message since they are back east and I called after hours. It took about a week, but someone called me back and she, and someone else she chose to help her, is going to help me find out the final disposition of 4315. I really didn't expect to hear back!

RSS

© 2019   Created by Mark Drury.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service