Northwestern Pacific Railroad Network

Dedicated to Sharing the Heritage of Redwood Empire Railroading

drove through Shellville yesterday and the entire field to the west of 8th St is being graded with heavy equipment.  Is this first stage of the move for 2472 and friends?

Views: 818

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Exciting news!  Thanks for sharing!

I drove through this Saturday and saw the same thing. My dad who is fairly familiar with that road said it's most likley flood protection because of all the ditches but the land closer to the NWP HQ and the Santa Rosa branch looks like its being leveled.

A new winery?

I'm pretty sure that spot of land was where GGRM is setting up home.  It was either shared here or on one of the other sites or both.  

This is called Victory Station. It will be a American Canyon-style distribution center for Sonoma area wine industry. Labels, bottles, packaging, wine, all that stuff will lease space here. As Sonoma turns to wine biz, the wine biz turns to warehousing.

http://www.northbaybusinessjournal.com/northbay/sonomacounty/558339...
No mention of rail service (it's already right there and a spur could be built for practically nothing) - hate to think what a mess 25 loading docks will make of route 121 and 8th street in/out of Sonoma.

I swore that was the spot GGRM was going.  Oh well, anyone know where they will be?  I did notice in the second picture of the article that there will be new track laid for the warehouse. Looks like box cars will be back 

I stand corrected - they *do* have plans to extend tracks into/beside the facility. Good business switching those out.

Will be interesting, back in the 1960s-1990's Groskopf-Wieder hauled wine and spirits and other commodities at RAIL rates, by truck to undercut rail shipping. Under the PUC laws at the time it was legal as long as the shipper had a rail siding to one of their warehouse locations (Sebastiani's at the time). Shippers used G&W due to point A to B shipping, no need for trans shipping or having a rail siding on the receivers property. I still have my freight tags from when I sub hauled for G&W. Hauled "pigs" (piggybacks) to Santa Fe yard in Richmond and containers to the Matson Yard in Oakland. Used to make two loops per week to LA and back hand stacking, repallatizing  1300 cases of wine or 151 Bacardi Rum or Hiram Walker spirits! I do remember them loading an occasion box car at Sebatiani's in town while we loaded trucks right next to it. That was before G&W moved to Vineberg and then went belly up, sorry but it couldn't have happened to a better group of people! Got "educated" by one of their drivers and found out how they were screwing me over.

Bob:  Good to hear from you again and good backgrounder.  The whole trucking thing was poison for the railroads and our highways.  I was up in Santa Rosa last weekend and there were so many trucks on 101 hauling debris I assume down to the Novato land fill.

But Chad or others it has been 2 dry months since you made your observation about the grading.  Is there any new construction happening at the site?  This new customer could be the reason that NWP ex VP Jake Park rebuilt the Sonoma line in anticipation of this new customer.

Hi Richard

Yeah they don't let me out very often! :-)

We live in Albuquerque NM now. After my last medical issues I wanted to be closer to my daughter, just in case.  She is a physician here now and an Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine at the University, and her hubby is an engineer with one of the Defense contractors so don't ask me what he does, cuz I don't know and we don't ask! They said they'd never move back to CA so we moved here!

The local RR Society is restoring a big Santa FE steam locomotive they hope to have on the line by 2019, it past it's boiler test, we were there the day the inspector was coming, boy were those guys nervous!  http://nmslrhs.org/   Interesting group, many actual "rocket" scientists, doctors and varied other highly educated people. Plus a few with actual RR experience with the 4-8-4 all super nice people! 

We'll be back in the Sonoma area in mid May for my 50th SVHS reunion.

Will be interesting to see what has changed in the past couple of years.

Isn't any of that debris haul hazmat?

My brother used to live in Santa Fe and I rode the Santa Fe Southern a few times.  Last I was there they were shut down.  Is that still the case?  Is their RoW from Lamey still usable for a 4-8-4?  As I remember that line had at least some 2% grades, a challenge for even a big steamer.

Stay healthy.

Richard

RSS

© 2018   Created by Mark Drury.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service